Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The shitty smell of 79-cent cologne clings to my pocket. In a sad stupid and failed attempt to convince Lily to stay put while I work with Hershey, I placed mouthwash into a small squirt bottle, giving her a spritz when she disobeyed. The problem was how I got there.


I tried to buy a small spray bottle and the best I could find was a barf green Masculine Scent in the discount bin in the men's section at the pharmacy.


I thought that I could just dump it out and trade the perfumed stuff for mouth wash. Nope.


Nothing could suck the smell out of the plastic.


You gotta throw it out, Jerry told me. Seconds later it hit the trash. Unfortunately, awful smells die hard. The weird scent lingers in everything it touched, including my flannel shirt pocket.


It's a sticky stink like powder, flowers, melting sugar, and sleaze.


Today the snow's tightly knitted grasp eased across the frozen ground. Stones, leaves, and patches of soil poked through. Stray dog toys and hard rubber balls that we lost in the woods this winter stuck out like neon buttons on the mud.


No comments:

Post a Comment