Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I hear night set in while I count out sticky cash. Traffic noise has stopped and the ice machine hums.




I click off the neon OPEN sign and realize that I have forgotten the surprise of sunrise -- a small drop of light along the horizon ahead of each day -- a point of fire running in streaks of amber and gold as dawn comes skipping across peaks and hollows.




My shades are closed and my back is turned against dawn, but I know what the moon does and where the constellations hide -- I see them through my windshield or while walking up the path back home from the bar.




Hours later I hear a truck pass in the distance -- a driver at the wheel thinking about coffee, melted butter on toast. The early-bird news talks about things I won't know for hours.




At home on a gaudy black and chrome barstool pulled beside polished pine and stone, I find my place in the book. Soon the night rouses to trade places with another day.





No comments:

Post a Comment