Monday, December 19, 2011

A fuse of fire lit the horizon where December's bare mountains met the sky. A blinding flash of orange. Daybreak.


From my basement barstool I watched the tender peach sky. Slamming my book facedown I was mad because the characters were made of tissue paper, their words already forgotten. I wanted more from them. I wanted more from everything. I needed sleep.


Earlier that night I closed the bar while one last guy finished one last beer. He asked me, so, when you were a kid what did you dream of being when you grew up?


I really didn't dream about that, I said.


What?


I never dreamed that I would be a fireman or a nurse or married with a pretty dress or anything.


Why not?


I was always too worried about something. A test, the bus ride, homework, or getting fat. I never really outgrew my fear of opening the school door and starting first grade.


I don't believe that.


As if belief makes truth, I said.


What? What do you want now?


I want more from myself.


He thought about that. I watched exhaust hit the cold air around my tailpipes, the truck warming outside the front windows.


Got heat in that thing, he asked?


Some.


What does that mean?


Enough.

_____


But some things are not enough. Two weeks from now another year will finish. I ought to change my clothes and get off the barstool for this. I ought to take out the to-do list I have reread so many times it's almost see-through.


I found a little pocket of gold this year and a lesson: don't rip your life apart over the demons kid, they come and go as they please.


No comments:

Post a Comment