Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Love, Was That You?


I knew you would never come true

i ran out of things to feed you


Damn to true love anyway

like it comes in a can

like it's on sale or free or falls out of a fortune cookie


Christmas crept in on a creamy sunrise

and I cried at the thought of going out there

where I had left gifts from Santa to myself

where I had to smile because today is a happy day

of wrapping paper and kisses

gift cards and pictures

a glimpse of blue eyes

and what am I talking about anyway?

it's all gonna blow away


Was that you?

i knew you would never come true

nobody could wrap you

no one could give you

to me


The wine tastes like overripe cherries and honey

i look at a song

i watch light wash her cheeks

eyes sunk in shadows

lips glossy red

i don't know if I am ready to hear this

she presses close to a rigid metal microphone

sounds like 1968

we're all free over here

free and dreaming

free to love

is that you?

i knew you could never come true


------

The following words have nothing to do with anything:


I read a bad poem -- sand in my eyes

and went back to my book in the basement and wine: I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment