Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Curdled-milk clouds covered the moon -- its sagging glow touched an old building's spire and I hunched over the steering wheel, watching my breath and remembering the girls room in high school.


I'd swim through hair spray and cigarette smoke. Haze clogged up the pretty girls' reflections. Perched on the sink with arms kinked, they slid their smokes back and forth between puckered lips and thin air.


I walked away dragging the smell of soot behind me and read the Economics lessons while they lit, sucked, and puffed through junior year.


Don't know why I'm thinking of these girls now. Where are they anyway?



--------



I don't feel good today

happens all the time

the feeling stretches

away and back and away


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read this line twice:

    "I walked away dragging the smell of soot behind me..."

    Because I thought it said:

    "I walked away dragging the smell of stool behind me..."

    :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you're still looking at Lily! Been low lately, just gazing at Orion and The Dippers...hope all is well...you always were so interested in the funny things people say. The world is so much less brick and concrete, and so much more the things we say to each other...

      Delete