Monday, January 30, 2012

Muzzle, I Said:



So, I'll take you up on your idea, he said.


Short stories? I asked.


Yes.


He was having a beer at closing time while a few friends stretched the night's last moments and a drunk slumped and drooled in a booth.


A short story's sentences swing on iron strands carrying concise meaning, like a needle. Constructed of imagination, glimpses, and suggestion, the story crowds a mind where phantoms and demons jump from shadows and dance.


The story's impressions remain after staring at the sun.


I told my friend I would find him some. And I will.


-----


Lily went berserk when another dog entered the vet's office today.

I stood to face the receptionist.


Muzzle, I said.


------


The idea of a short story, I suppose, is to say everything without saying everything.





No comments:

Post a Comment