Tuesday, March 13, 2012


Now:

I walked home under a diamond sky hanging wishes on the stars, remembering South Dakota's miles of motorcycles and screaming pipes.


Then:

We crept along the trail past a marker that pointed one mile to the top of a mountain rising from Sturgis's smooth buffalo prairie. Wind tugged knotted scraps of cloth in the trees.


What are those? I asked.


Prayer satchels, he said. Relatives come and tie their wishes inside for the spirits to take.


With blades of scrub grass underfoot I let my wet hair dry in the sun, watching clouds cross a lemonade sky. A chubby girl traded her shirt for a ride with a guy, while I popped the back of my camera and threaded its film.


I stirred sugar into the heavy diner mug, stretching new chaps and sipping caffeine. Elbows on a cracked red Formica counter, I looked down the row of creased faces, gray hair combed with August wind.


Now again:

With abrupt joy moths fluttered in March's early warmth.


----------------


Bits n Pieces again:


Some things take little bits away,

others put little pieces back.

You could be good or bad to me, and we're even.




2 comments: