Friday, February 19, 2010

From my police scanner at work I hear the dispatcher say: the store manager called; apparently kids behind the store are striking some kind of meter with a metal pole…
Laughing, I momentarily replace the recent flurry of images running through my head with thoughts of a bunch of kids still hunched under their book bags standing around as one whacks at a pole absentmindedly. Soon the police will roll up to hustle them away.
Last night I saw Steve from the old bar that closed. I miss it like a person who walked away and disappeared like a friend’s father in one of his dreams. One minute you are talking, and then the figure drifts off. No more words.
Jogging today with Lily as the sun melted patches of snow and soaked warmth into my black fleece, we worked on Hold it! which she does really well. Stopping, her ears perk and she waits.
Are you going to call out vet, Jerry asks?
What will I say to him? Should we wait to see what happens after the second round of the parasite treatment?
Just tell him what’s happening, he says to me.
Well…
I am on the fence about this and the fence tapers off into the distance without end.
Three snouts converging under the doorknob as I stand behind Bandit and Hershey and Lily who all wait for my hand to turn the handle and free them. They swerve around the corner and run up behind the house over rocks crashing snapping through branches churning up leave snow leaves. Wait!
I hurry around the corner to find Lily and Hershey both clamped down on a huge fallen limb and they snarl and pull and both want to claim it. With the force of two dogs hauling a projectile they rumble toward me as I jump to avoid a jab in the thigh from a ragged branch.
Ozzy trundles along sniffing yesterdays’ footprints and Bandit has a head start over the rise.
I miss the people from my dreams and remember the night’s blurring images as my mind and I wander through the woods. I was happy there.

No comments:

Post a Comment