Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The day began with a morning stickier than fly paper. Somehow flies mosquitoes gnats bigger flies creepy buzzing things and things with sharp pointed stingers all love a body slick with sweat. A big quick-serve blood bar. I took Lily down the street and as I ran I kept my left hand on the leash and my right was swatting wildly.

Something small like the size of a sesame seed with wings and legs squished in my eye as I squinted. Just for a second I felt it there, pinned between lids where I smeared it out with a sweaty finger covered in long, abrasive strands of fur.

I felt something land on my cheek and in a panic I hit myself in the face. The tender bridge of my nose still hurts.


At three in the afternoon jogging through heavy clinging air was tough. At 6 when I went with Lily again, gravity had stopped pulling so hard and the air had thinned.

I was so encouraged I took everyone but Ozzy into the woods so they could run loose. Ozzy tends to turn around and go home without telling anyone and there I am wondering if he got lost.


Yesterday Hershey launched after a stick and bumped Ozzy. He tipped over, four legs jutting into the air, then toppled to his feet again. I don't think he knew things were upside down for a second.


Lily wanted Hershey's ball today. Hershey turned away and Lily ended up with Hershey's scruff between her teeth. They spun around like that for a second and I couldn't get there fast enough. When we got home I found a patch about the size of my fingertip was plucked to the skin. A red tooth hole in its center bled.


I am sorry Hershey. I looked at it tonight and I am sure one of Lily's teeth would fit the puncture. How do I fix that? Maybe I should not stupidly throw a ball where they both will run after it.


I can't do anything without falling asleep. Stress is just shutting me down. It's not sleep, but like a spell. I can't keep my eyes open. Sight and sound abruptly fade and something physically pulls me into unconsciousness. My headache grows like an ant hill, tiny increments that come in a steady flow. It's happening now, like I suddenly lose my balance and my head dips forward. I know people walk past my desk at work and see me eyes close, then burst back open.


No comments:

Post a Comment