Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Something lurches in my gut and I rush to the sink, but I don't barf.


The rest of the day sits on my shoulders like mean little jackhammers, and the slithering anxiety knots in my gut.


Finally at 7:30 that evening I sit facing the police chief and a board of police commissioners.


It's time for public comment, the chairman says, smiling at me.


I begin: I want to thank you first for taking my e-mail and responding, I …


WELL WHAT DID YOU TELL HIM? DID HE SET UP A NEW MEETING? The voice is thunder and I instantly lose my thought as half a cell phone conversation crashes along the tiled halls and spills into the acoustic meeting room.


I just want to raise the problem about speeding … that's all.


LOUD, the REALLY LOUD VOICE is getting CLOSER and my thoughts are scattered, but I catch one phrase in the tumbling structure of key points I had hoped to share: I think, there is so much I had hoped to say here … I am not making a dent … bastard out there talking all over the place like a loud radio.


You had said in your mail that you have some concerns, the chair says. Bless him for prompting me. I turn to Jerry and whisper, close the door. He understands my noise problem. It's like displacement. My concentration immediately gives way to the distractions.


I stress that I am concerned about speed, someone could be hurt. The list is long, but the point remains: let the drivers hold some of this responsibility and maybe try it on like a new coat every …


LOUD man's voice rearranges its course and now it shoots past the room and creeps in another door.


Don't hesitate to call us with a license plate or a description…


I could give you descriptions by car, house, face, whatever, but I would rather avoid creating a problem with a neighbor and butting heads. I would rather solve a problem, or at least take a look at it again and see what we can do about speeding ….


I add that like many people, I put up with it and stew and get more frustrated, then something propels me into their meeting.


Truth? Lily lunges at cars or nips like she wants to grab that shiny bumper and play…


Slow down you speeding bastards.


No comments:

Post a Comment